Elysians going forward


Elysians going forward

It's been some time since I have posted, but rest assured the blog isn't dead. I'm still around and using my Elysians. Just not so much lately due to a combination of real life commitments, and the Elysian rules getting further behind.

And now it looks like Elysians will be consigned to Legend status, While this works for some people I do like to play in the occasional tournament so prefer to play with rules suitable for match play. Because of this I have been looking at ways to utilise my Elysians in 9th edition using standard Astra Militarum rules.

In preparation for this I have already made 6 sergeants with chainswords, 3 with laspistols and 3 with bolters as pictured below. And I'm going to need make quite a few more, as well and platoon and company commanders.



The new Strategic Reserves rule will likely be key to the way I will play, effectively using it to replace aerial drop. To make it a bit more useful I'll probably use a custom regiment to gain 18" rapid fire range using the Disciplined Shooters custom trait, which will be extra useful for plasma guns, partially mitigating the need for the unit to be with 6" of the table edge.

A bigger issue was what to do with my Tauros's, but I hopefully will be able to proxy them as sentinels, as they have a similar statline. Probably the assault Tauros as a Flamer equipped scout sentinel, and the Venator as a Lascannon Armoured sentinel. The size of the model might be an issue though as sentinels are much taller than a Tauros and some people may not like the line-of-sight implications. My plan is to attach an aerial with a guidon to each Tauros, extending the same height as a sentinel. Most of the TOs I know are happy with proxies as long as they fit an army-wide theme, which these would. Given the cheaper price of sentinels. and the sentinel specific stratagems these could even be more effective than Tauros's despite the slower speed.

I haven't thought of a way to utilise sniper teams yet, and I'll also have to farewell the lascutters and Sky Talons. But at least this could be a way forward.

Feel free to post any comments and suggestions below. I'm eager to hear any further ideas.

Comments

  1. Fast forward to 2021 and legends really didn't do us justice. Playing as a custom regiment seems like the best way now. Its just hard with units like Tauros that don't have good proxy options in standard guard (they make good GSC ridge runners though).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you. However all that GW need to do to make it work is give us a Doctrine in the new Guard Codex, whenever that is released. The Elysian specific units all have the Elysian Drop Troops faction keyword, and without a doctrine that is worthless. A faint hope maybe, but it's what I am clinging too. I've been using my other Guard army more recently and have even started a Tzeentch Daemons army, so the Elysians have been packed away for the time being.
      The new custom codex that is being developed by the Elysian Discord group looks real good, but I like to play at events, and there's no way a custom codex will be allowed at an event.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Elysian Drop Troops online resources

Elysian Tactics - Tauros Assault vehicle and Tauros Venator

Tauros Assault Vehicle