2 Day tournament - Day two

I arrived for day 2 of the tournament in plenty of time. A few players had dropped out over night so the tables got spaced out a bit to give more room around the tables.

See my reviw of day one here.
http://422ndelysians.blogspot.com/2018/12/2-day-tournament-day-one.html

Game 4

Deployment: Hammer and Anvil
Objective #1: Eternal War: ETC Relic (ALTERED) & Scouring (Marker 1-6)
Objective #2: Maelstrom of War: Spoils of War (3 cards per turn scoring cap)

My first opponent for the day was another Custodes army, although this one had no jetbikes and had 2 Xiphon flyers. Still had the -1 to hit banner though.











As is usual me me he went first, bringing up his Xiphons and Landraider to engage my flyers. I think he expected to kill all 3, but helped by the prepared defences stratagem he only killed the Valkyrie, dumping the melta squads inside not far from his Xiphons. We had a bit of a rules discussion about whether his Landraider could advance and fire the heavy weapons, as he was of the opinion that Power of the Machine Spirit let him do that. He wasn't willing to just take my word for it as no one had complained about him doing this in his previous 5 tournaments so a quick call to the TO was required, who confirmed that he could not advance and fire the lascannons.

I was also a bit curious how he had the Xiphons and the Custodes in the same detachment since as far as I know the only keyword they share is Imperium and I don't think Adeptus Custodes is a <Chapter>, but I was less concerned about that as it didn't really affect the game for me.

In my turn 1 I killed one of the Xiphons, and damaged the other one and the landraider.



His turn 2 he did very little except unload some Custodes from the landraider and make a dash towards the relic, and consolidated his Custodes right at the rear of the board behind some cover, but sitting on two objectives.

My turn two I brought in most of my stuff, almost killing the landraider, killing the remaining Xiphon, and wounding his warlord who was grabbing another objective. My assassin charged in and did nothing.




At this point he saw how many guys I had on the board and realised he couldn't kill them all so went into defensive mode. So I killed a few more Custodes but as most of his stuff was hiding and still -1 to hit I didn't do much.

Due to the rules discussions this game did go over time and we only got to turn 4 from memory, and despite me having most of the objectives and the relic, due to him getting rather lucky with the maelstrom cards, and getting more kill points than me the game ended in a minor win for him.

Game 5

Deployment: Frontline Assault 
Objective #1: Eternal War: ETC Dominate and Destroy (ALTERED) 
Objective #2: Maelstrom of War: Targets Of Opportunity (no cap on Maelstrom cards scored) 

The final game of the tournament was against a Slaneesh demon army including Zarakynel, a 460pt Demon Lord capable of doing large numbers of mortal wounds in combat.

I deployed as usual and he got first turn, moving his demons across the board, but not getting into combat as I had deployed towards the rear of the board.





I moved up and shot most of my heavy stuff at Zarakynel doing a decent amount of damage, and wiped out a lot of the smaller deamons he had on his rear lines with the rest of my firepower.

He then moved up into combat with his bigger demons, killing some stuff but nothing big, but tying up most of my venators,



My turn 2 I dropped in most of my stuff at the rear of his deployment and cleaned up the rest of what he had there. From there it went back and forwards, him rampaging through my deployment zone killing most of my Venators, mortars and the Valkyrie until we had swapped sides of the board except for 1 mortar squad hiding behind some trees. Come the end of round 4 he had only the big spider demon left as demons are really quite vulnerable to large numbers of lasgun fire. Time was called by the TO so we ended the game there.



I came away with a win on this game and that was the end of it. This was probably my favourite game of the tournament as he was quite a relaxed opponent and there were no rules discussions.

In the final tally of 32 players I came in 9th, getting a modelling score of 34/40 and a battle score of 54/100, totalling 88pts. The tournament winner scored 125pts so I was still well behind.

Overall I was pretty happy with how my army performed. The assassin really underperformed, but was useful against the Custodes armies for her CP ability. There are a few changes I would do to the army but with CA coming out this weekend it looks like the cost of my list has dropped almost 100pts, so I will be doing a completely new list anyway. I have not signed up for any more tournaments over the next few months, but have a few more posts planned so stay tuned.

Comments

  1. This and part 1 were a good read - keeping me inspired to continue hunting and painting my Elysians. It's a nightmare to find them now that FW have stopped, so it's proving to be quite a challenge amassing the amount of troops needed, but I"m getting there :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anybody give you issues about Move and Fire and Grenades usage?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't use it as I think it is probably not intended that way. In any event FRFSRF was more useful in most circumstances due to the short range of grenades.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Elysian Drop Troops online resources

Elysian Tactics - Tauros Assault vehicle and Tauros Venator

Tauros Assault Vehicle