Drop Sentinels

Drop Sentinels


While I like the idea of these I am not sure how useful they will be on the table. I will be trying them out of course, but they compete with Tauros's for the Fast attack slot, and I really like Tauros's.

I have six of them, which I bought in two lots of three, all from the same source, but about a year apart. The earlier ones I bought weren't great quality, and were missing a few of the small covers for the leg joints. The ones I bought recently were also missing these and also missing the rear thrusters, and now I have heard that this particular vendor no longer sells these models. The more recent 3 I assembled I have not glued down the bars covering the driver for ease of painting, like I probably should have done for the first 3.





While assembling the sentinels you could tell the mould was old and there was some loss of detail, and some rather thin sections. However they came together alright as you can see. I also attached the magnet so I can change weapons as required. Sentinels are probably the easiest IG model to magnetise, and these were no different to regular sentinels in that regard.





One of the things I like about Drop sentinels is the weapon options, and it would be good if these were available on regular sentinels, especially the Heavy Bolter, and I have magnetised these too. Interestingly enough the Drop sentinel comes with a multi-laser which it cannot take, but no Heavy Flamer which it can take. However I have many regular sentinels with magnetised weapon options so that is not an issue for me. While the multi-melta initially seems a great option as you can deep strike into melta range, it will be hitting on 5s due to it being a heavy weapon, so for a squadron of 3, you will average 1 hit, which isn't great points efficiency.

And here is some with the heavy flamers from my regular sentinel weapon collection.


Next post will be on the cyclops mobile bomb, and then I will get onto the infantry.

Comments

  1. Somehow Elysian Drop Troop Sentinels are Elites in 8th Edition and not Fast Attack. Normal Guard Sentinels are Fast Attack. So in a 2000 Point list the Elite Slots are already cramped with Vets, Specials, Company Squads and such.

    At such a point you simply could field the Sentinels as not part of the Elysian list, but use them as general AM Sentinels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all your comments, I really apprestiate the input.

    I already have a large AM army, in excess of 10000pts, and an Eldar army of a similar size. So I am not short on sentinels. I am more collecting them for completeness as I can't really see a use for them. I'll cover this more fully when I do a tactics post about the sentinels, but there are other units that can do the same job but better, and as you say the Elysian elite slot is already full of great options.

    However I will try them out in a few games, as I really like the model and the idea of them dropping from the sky, probably with multi-meltas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well the Thins with Elysians is that you can drop everything, but half of your Army needs to be on the ground in Round 1 in the setup phase. And Usually People use for that Sentinels to speed in your half of the Map to make drop free zones with a 9" radius so the enemy cant drop/check/teleport there.

      And AM usually uses Sentinels for that.
      But on the Elysians the Tauros is actually better for that.
      He has an inv 5+ if he speeds up and that can be improved with a CP if needed.

      So yes, I dont see a role for the Elysian Sentinals but they look nice and I will get me also at least two more of them. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Elysian Drop Troops online resources

Elysian Tactics - Tauros Assault vehicle and Tauros Venator

Tauros Assault Vehicle